What is the Academic Education Enhanced Course for ESL Students*?
The Academic Education Enhancement Course provides additional assistance to students whose first language is not English, but has previously attended or graduated from traditional academic settings of High School or Alternative schools in their native tongue. Participants are instructed with the following course objectives: Beginning literacy/phonics, Vocabulary Building, General reading comprehension, Text in format, Reference materials, Reading strategies, Reading and thinking, Reading and Speaking, Speaking and Listening, and other academic-oriented skills.
THM Sadaqa Group offers Adult Secondary ESL Enhanced Courses
Enrolling for this course in the English As a Second Language targets three main subject areas in reading, literature, and composition to engage students in becoming skilled readers of content focusing on developing a solid core of basic English grammar skills for beginning learners of English. In particular, it covers the structure of declarative, interrogative and imperative sentences; simple present, past and future forms as well as present continuous; pronominal forms; possessive constructions (have-possessives, genitives, of-possessives); nominal plural formation; simple conjunctions.
The second level of this course aims at developing students' ability to handle a variety of basic social situations (introductions, ordering meals, asking directions, making purchases, taking & leaving simple messages, etc.). Students will learn to tell simple stories and describe pictures in simple sentences, and to understand simple narratives. They will also increase their vocabulary.
The third and final level of this course focuses on developing basic reading and writing skills. After completing the course, students are expected to be able to write short messages and descriptions; fill out simple forms; apply basic principles of capitalization and punctuation; read simplified short texts on familiar topics and answer factual questions about the reading; scan to locate information in text; categorize vocabulary (synonyms, antonyms). Students will also increase their vocabulary.
Fees: $25.00 per month (2 days a week)
Age Requirement: Begging at 8th Grade
A full year of course instruction, focused and intensive non-coed preparatory program for young adults and women
1. Single Semester Block Scheduling for One (1) Year
2. 8 Hours of classroom Interaction per mo.
3. Some free materials
4. Technology tools such as WiZiQ interactive classrooms
5. Testing and Evaluation system
· Recorded Sessions Available
· Study Materials, Worksheets
· Tutorials, Handouts
Academic Policy Statements:
1. Attendance is mandatory upon enrollment, not more than three (3) absences during any four (4) week period. Any participant having more than five (5) absences in a nine week period will be removed from the program and placed an academic review status.
2. Lateness is not tolerable. Fix your intentions, be prepared, and attend classes on time to the best of your ability.
3. All missed assignments are still due from the participant. It is the responsibility of the student to find out what you missed during any late entry or absence. You will have 24 hours to submit the work after your return to class.
4. Missed quizzes, mock test, or exams. Students, who miss a quiz or mock test, may schedule a makeup session.
Any missed exam must be cleared by the instructor first.
Who can enroll in this course?
The THM Sadaqa Group program is dedicated to the advancement of education for young adults and women from beginning to end. Our instructors are dedicated to assisting the participants of this program and their families in learning and implementing the skills provided to lead meaningful partnerships that encourage compassionate, nurturing, and cooperative relationships for personal, professional, and individual endeavors.
Muslim and NonMuslim Women from all cultures in various communities may enroll for this course with the mindset of improving their individual goals as leaders in society and developing the skills to become better mothers, students of knowledge, lecturers, and renowned educators based upon the Standard Salafi Curriculum Guide (SSCG).
How long is the course?
The ESL Enhanced Course in the English As a Second Language requires that students dedicate one (1) full year of intensive block scheduling. The course provides single semester block scheduling (SSBS) with two (2) 1- hour sessions, two (2) days a week for three (3) months per semester.
· Elementary Grammar Block
· Elementary to Intermediate Speaking and Listening Block
· Elementary to Intermediate Reading, Writing, and English Literature Block
Opportunity to move forward:
Business Spelling and Word Power CRSE 201
Fees $25 per month; 2 days a week
Ask instructor for additional information
https://webzoom.freewebs.com/thmsadaqagroup/English_Vocabulary_in_Use_Pre-_Intermediate.pdf Pre-Intermediate (textbook)
By Cambridge University Press (PDF)